Saturday, December 11, 2010

Coming to an end....

I learned a lot from Multi Ethnic reporting. I felt that the
conversations we had in class we meaningful and allowed each of us to
learn a little more about different cultures. I've learned to be a
little more sensitive to people different from me and to be a little
more conscious of stereotypes I may have used in the past.
I found our listening posts to be a very important component to how we
learned throughout this semester. I had a preconceived notion that
people at the flea market had uninteresting lives or didn't have much
to offer. When in fact, the person I met wasn't much older than me and
actually had a lot in common with me. Many of us had different
experiences at our listening posts. I learned that fear is only in my
head. I was so uncomfortable going to a flea market alone. Everyone
was so nice and wanted to talk. People want to tell their story, and
as journalists we really need to listen.

Overall, I thought this course was a valuable learning experience. Our
class conversations and sharing of our experiences helped me to feel a
bit more at ease at my post.

I didn't feel as though anything should be done differently with the
course for future semesters.

Thank you for a allowing us to learn in a more unconventional way.

No comments:

Post a Comment