Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Back to the Flea Market


I went to the Flea Market on yesterday (Tuesday) The place wasn't too too packed. I went to speak to the owner again, Scott. He showed me around his office and was really interested in having me learn about what he does and what goes on there. I was able to see pictures of the Flea Market year-to-year and all the cameras they have installed.

Scott walked around with me for a little while and talked about some families that live here. I spoke with another Haitian family. The father ran the business and his kids helped him out. They have been there for 5 years and have trouble making enough to support their family.

I re-visited Michael and his parents for a little while. They were pretty busy, but Michael was happy to see me. He did most of the talking today. He told me about how hard work has been these past couple of days. They haven't been too busy and rely solely on their business to survive. His older sister moved to Orlando and is trying to finish school. I walked around with him too. He introduced me to his friend, who was from Columbia. His name is Juan and he's an illegal immigrant. When Michael told him I was a journalist and was there to learn more about what goes on in a Flea Market, Juan ran away. Apparently he thought I had the authority to deport him. It was an interesting day. I'll be back there Saturday. I plan to try and meet one more family.

No comments:

Post a Comment