Wednesday, September 1, 2010

First Take at Blogging

I've always been a little hesitant to write a blog, but I don't know why. I guess I'm scared to know what people might think or might not think.

So, here I go with my first real blog. Hopefully this will run smoothly and I'll get used to posting my thoughts for all you to read.

This is my last first week of school as an undergrad. (That felt really good to say) It has been a interesting couple classes that I've been to. It feels good to be able to talk about race and ethnicity so freely in a class with people of so many different races.

I took an interesting "test" today about my racial preferences. The results said I associated Europeans Americans with positive words more than I associate black people with positive words. It stated I have a "strong" preference to European Americans over African Americans.

I could easily say it was the way I was brought up, but I'll try not to take that easy way out.

I come from a very conservative Catholic, Cuban household where my grandparents and parents have told me not marrying a Cuban would be a disappointment, or marrying a black person was definitely out of the question. But why? Well, because I always told so.

I thought the test was interesting to do because out loud, I probably would say the results don't say much about me, but I wouldn't completely disagree with it.

I'll leave it at that for now. I look forward to blogging some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment