Monday, September 20, 2010

Listening Post- Santeria


I have decided to choose a Santeria Botanica as my listening post. I grew up in a very strict Cuban household and always heard about Santeria and "evil" things about it. I am extremely skeptical about going, but I am mentally preparing myself to be as open as possible. I am currently calling places to see which one of them will welcome me in.

The Santeria religion and its people is not one that makes me feel comfortable. I had a neighbor who was a santero and I just feel uneasy around them. I don't mean to sound like they are another kind of people, but I have a very negative connotation towards the beliefs of that culture. I know the purpose of this listening post, and I really hope that I change my mind about the religion. I want to be able to talk to my grandmother about it and not have her throw holy water all over me.

It's interesting in class to see some people who think they are comfortable anywhere, but when you really dig deep, there are hundreds of places where one can feel uneasy.

I am looking forward to this experience and I look forward to coming out with a completely different view on the Santeria religion.

No comments:

Post a Comment