Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Stereotyping in the Media

The most interesting article that we were given to look over was the NPR one on Ramadan and the football player. The story gave a sense of normalcy to the player and the story altogether. It was interesting to see that people DO write holiday stories without talking about food.

We've looked at stereotyping within ourselves and now we were able to see it in the world. After reading the article from Liberty City, it was eye-opening to see that things like that actually get published. It was clear that the reporter went in there with his story and with his mind set.

After reading Zai's blog, I felt more comfortable with the purpose and meaning of the listening post. She wrote so well and expressed herself well. She painted a picture for readers of what she did and what her experiences were like.

We have established that it is in each of us to automatically stereotype because we look for people that look similar to us right away. So how are we supposed to fix this? I don't think we can. Where we come from and how we were all brought up has a lot to do, if not everything to do, with how we think. So, what? Is everyone supposed to take multi-ethnic or is everyone supposed to take the stereotyping/racist test created by Harvard. No.

I went to help my mom out at work the other day and we always go through bad neighborhoods. How do I know that? Well, because that's what my mom says and because she never likes going through there. I talked to her about what we've talked about in class and how the stereotyping is such a big issue. She told me that her father always told her that black people were all up to no good. I was not at all shocked to hear that, and although my parents don't think like that to that extreme, I know they still don't feel the same around white or hispanic people compared to blacks.

This is a big problem, especially for journalists and we need to be able to set the stereotypes aside and be able to report in any city with people from anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment